Our next orientation is scheduled for Thursday July 7 at 6:00pm. Contact Robyn Hersh at email@example.com for more information or to register.
We are located at Mount Sinai St Luke’s Hospital at West 114th Street and Amsterdam Avenue on the campus of Columbia University in Manhattan.
Our Weight Loss Program
Richard Weil, M.Ed., CDE, Director
Betty Kovacs, MS, RD, Co-Director, Director of Nutrition
- 52-week weight loss groups for adults older than 25 who have 50 or more pounds to lose.
- 26-week weight loss groups for adults who have less than 50 pounds to lose.
- Weight loss groups led by a team of weight loss experts, including a Behavior Therapist, Registered Dietitian, and Exercise Physiologist
- Follow-up weight management program after 26 or 52 weeks for maintaining weight or losing more weight if you desire.
- Medically supervised, hospital-based weight loss. Our team of bariatric physicians, including endocrinologists who specialize in weight loss as well as diabetes and other metabolic disorders that can affect your ability to lose weight, are available to you for hormonal and metabolic testing for weight management if you desire.
- You’ll complete a battery of questionnaires before you start the weight loss program to help our weight loss experts learn more about how you lose weight, to plan your weight loss curriculum, and to predict possible obstacles to your weight loss.
- Our fee: $60 per week, and a one-time fee of $90 for an individual screening appointment with one of our staff before you start. No other mandatory fees. We do not accept insurance and you pay fees monthly.
- Meal replacement products are available, but not a mandatory part of the weight loss program. Our Registered Dietitian will discuss options with program members who are interested.
How are we different?
- You must have at least 50 pounds to lose to join us. You’ll feel comfortable with like-minded people. You are not alone.
- No weight loss medication. We’re not opposed to weight loss medication, and we’re happy to refer you to one of our bariatric doctors or endocrinologists for a medication evaluation, but it’s not an intrinsic part of our lifestyle-change weight loss program.
- No weight loss surgery. Many hospital-based programs and weight loss clinics advertise as a weight loss program or weight management program, but weight loss surgery or very low calorie diets is the emphasis (or all they do). We’re not opposed to weight loss surgery (we do weight loss surgery here at our hospital with our team of renowned bariatric surgeons), but like weight loss medication, it’s not an intrinsic part of our lifestyle-change weight loss program.
- Our weight loss groups are closed, which means you’re with the same people for the entire 26 or 52 weeks. No one coming and going, no distractions, consistent support for losing weight. NO OTHER NEW YORK CITY WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM, nor any other weight loss program or weight loss clinic in the country that we know of, offers that level of commitment to help you lose weight.
- Research-based. We’re the only weight loss program or weight loss clinic in New York City associated with an obesity research center. We’re federally-funded to do obesity research. Our mission is to reduce the incidence of obesity and related diseases through leadership in basic obesity research, clinical research, epidemiology and public health, patient care, and public education.
- Our body composition lab is the finest and most respected in the world. Body fat percent testing (bioelectrical impedance, Bod-Pod, CT scans, underwater weighing – hydrostatic weighing, dual-emission X-ray absorptiometry – DXA, and 3-D body scanner), resting metabolic rate measurement, bone density testing, and sub-max and maximal exercise capacity tests are available should you desire it.
Have you lost and gained weight before?
Most of our members have lost and gained weight multiple times, perhaps 100’s of pounds. We’re committed to helping you lose weight and keep it off for good.